As part of troubleshooting one of the application servers yesterday, we've executed newsid.exe on the server and rebooted the same. After reboot the server was not coming up, getting OS screen and getting the blue screen later. Tried to repair the OS, System Restore etc., but all efforts went in vain.
After doing some googling and reading some technical articles came to know that newsid doesn't work for Windows 7 family (Desktop & Server (2k8)) of OS.
Need to use built-in sysprep tool to generate newsid for Windows 7 family OS systems. Here is the procedure.
- First, click to Start-->Run, type sysprep and press OK.
- This will open sysprep folder which is located in c:\Windows\System32. Open sysprep application.
- This will open System Preparation Tool 3.14 window. As a System Cleanup Action select Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE).
- Important: Select Generalize to change SID, it’s not selected by default & for shutdown options select Reboot.
- After rebooting you’ll have to enter some data, for example, Country or region, Time and currency and Keyboard input.