Windows 7 has several useful features that are not installed by default; some of them could benefit your organization.
To access these nondefault features, open the Control Panel and click on Programs. In the Programs and Features section, click the Turn Windows Features On or Off link. When you do this, Windows will display a dialog box where you can enable or disable several features.
While you may not want to enable all the features, here are a handful of nondefault components to consider.
- The Indexing Service
- Internet Information Services
- Internet Information Services Hostable Web Core
- Microsoft Message Queue Server
- RIP Listener
- Microsoft Services for Network File System
- Simple Network Management Protocol
- Simple TCP/IP services
- Subsystem for Unix-based Applications
- Telnet Server
- TFTP Client
- Windows TIFF IFilter
While some of these nondefault components are outdated or relatively obscure, others may be useful in your environment.